Epidemic heats up with super-spread variant strain causing panic in Guangdong

The outbreak in China’s Guangdong Province is heating up. Officials reported on May 31 that there were 20 new indigenous cases of the CCP virus and 3 asymptomatic cases (all in Guangdong) between 0-24 p.m. on May 30. On May 30, officials in Guangzhou and Shenzhen admitted separately that all infected persons in the current round of the outbreak in Guangzhou were infected with the Indian mutant strain of the CCP virus, and all infected persons in the current round of the outbreak in Shenzhen were infected with the British mutant strain of the CCP virus. The two variants are super-transmissible. These two variants are super-transmissible and have caused panic among the local population.

Guangdong Health Commission reported on May 31 that from 0-24 hours on May 30, 20 new local confirmed cases were reported (16 of which were asymptomatic to confirmed), 18 cases were reported in Guangzhou (14 of which were asymptomatic to confirmed), and 2 cases were reported in Foshan (both asymptomatic to confirmed); 3 new local asymptomatic cases were reported, 2 cases were reported in Shenzhen, and 1 case was reported in Foshan.

The day before, on May 30, a press conference on the prevention and control of the epidemic in Guangzhou revealed that 13 new local infections were reported in Guangdong on the 29th, including 12 cases in Guangzhou and 1 case in Foshan. Chen Bin, deputy director of the Guangzhou Municipal Health Commission, informed that from May 21 to May 30, the genetic sequencing results of the infected persons reported in Guangzhou who had been tested were highly homologous, all being the Indian mutant strain of the CCP virus.

Since the Chinese Communist Party has always concealed the epidemic, it is difficult for the outside world to know how much the above official notification data differs from the actual situation.

The source of the current outbreak in Guangzhou remains unknown. Previously, the mainland media reported that the fourth generation of transmission of the outbreak in Guangzhou occurred from Guo, a local case diagnosed on May 21 in Liwan District of Guangzhou (generation 1), to Song, who was infected by drinking morning tea (generation 2), to Lei, Song’s daughter-in-law (generation 3), and finally to Wang, a new asymptomatic infected person in Foshan, Guangdong Province (generation 4).

Zhang Zhoubin, deputy director of the Guangzhou CDC, also said at a press conference on the 27th, “The speed of transmission is the biggest difference between this outbreak and previous outbreaks; the strength of transmission is reflected in the fact that the virus can be transmitted by eating a meal and brief non-direct contact.”

According to Public Health England (PHE) on May 7 of this year, scientists found that the Indian mutant strain of the virus spreads faster than the original mutant virus.

According to “Guangzhou Tianhe Release” WeChat public number on the evening of May 30, Guangzhou Tianhe District issued a notice of large-scale nucleic acid testing work, arrangements for Shahe Street, Wushan Street, Zhucun Street, Shipai Street, Shadong Street, Tongxia Street, Tianyuan Street, Zhuji Street jurisdiction of the household population, people coming to Guangzhou to carry out nucleic acid testing from May 30 to June 1 The test will be conducted from May 30 to June 1.

On the evening of May 30, Guangzhou’s epidemic prevention department issued a notice stating that a number of new measures to strengthen the management of vehicles and people leaving Guangzhou will be implemented from 10pm tomorrow (31), including the requirement for travellers and drivers to have a negative nucleic acid test certificate within 72 hours.

Earlier, Guangzhou authorities announced that from 29th onwards, within the area of Hailong Street, Baihedong Street, Zhongnan Street, Dongjiao Street and Chongkou Street in Liwan District, all people will mainly stay at home and stop all activities that are not necessary for daily life, except for one person per household per day who will be limited to go out to buy essential items.

A video circulating online shows that many people on Nanpu Island got up this morning to grab vegetables.

In addition, on May 30, Shenzhen City, two new infected people, a couple, a 52-year-old Yantian Port Comprehensive Free Trade Zone staff Xia, another case of Xia’s wife, 50-year-old He, living in Yantian District, Yantian Street, East Sea Road 106, No. 9 neighborhood.

Xia visited the Xikeng community in Longgang District on May 22, tested positive for initial screening for nucleic acid on May 29, and later rechecked as still positive; He was tested positive for initial screening as a close contact of Xia on May 29, and also rechecked positive on May 30. These two cases of viral gene sequencing results are pending.

In the evening of the same day, May 30, Shenzhen held a press conference on the prevention and control of the epidemic. The deputy director of the Shenzhen Municipal Health and Wellness Committee, Chang Juping, informed that the cases in this round of the epidemic, from 1 to 11, are highly homologous, with the same genetic sequencing results of the virus belonging to the mutant strain B117 found in the UK.

In March this year, British researchers found that the British variant of the CCP virus strain since its first discovery in the UK late last year, it not only spreads rapidly, but its lethality is 30% to 100% higher than the previous major variant.

The outbreak continues to spread in many parts of Guangdong Province, sparking panic among the public. A netizen revealed that a video circulated on the Internet showed chaos in the Panyu district of Guangzhou as people went to the hospital to get vaccinated. However, there is another vaccination site, someone fell to the ground after the vaccine, the public called this is not suitable to play, so scary.

In addition, Chancheng District, Foshan City, Guangdong Province, due to the sudden outbreak of the epidemic, in May 28 suddenly announced that residents of the entire district, May 28 at 15:00 pm to 29 noon, complete the full nucleic acid test. As a result, the testing sites were overcrowded, and there were even a number of incidents of fights over queue jumping.