North Korea test-fired two short-range missiles last week, South Korean military announces type of missile

North Korea test-fired two short-range missiles into the western waters of the Korean peninsula on April 21, the first Time in more than 11 months since April 14 last year, and the first time since the Biden administration took office, but the missiles were short-range cruise missiles and did not violate the UN Security Council agreement.

According to the Yonhap News Agency, the South Korean military said that North Korea launched two cruise missiles from the morning of the 21st to the western waters of the peninsula, the two missiles flew a short distance, military sources said, is analyzing the specific parameters of the above missiles, this is the first test launch of North Korea after the Biden Administration took office, but South Korean interest sources pointed out that the North Korean launch is not a ballistic missile, there is no violation of the UN Security Council resolution.

The U.N. Security Council resolution only prohibits North Korea from launching ballistic missiles, and the launch of cruise missiles does not violate the resolution; Jenny Town, editor-in-chief of 38 North, a U.S.-based North Korea watchdog think tank, believes that if North Korea did conduct a missile test, it would be relatively mild compared to past test launches. The North is expected to test the reaction of South Korea and the United States through a low-intensity demonstration of force.

In addition, the news of the launch was first broken by foreign media, which sparked a discussion. South Korean public opinion believes that why the South Korean Joint Staff Headquarters did not announce the news of the North Korean missile launch first, and that it is extremely rare for the news to be announced by foreign media first instead of the South Korean military. The North Korean test fire in April last year can be regarded as a part of the joint strike exercise, so the relevant news was announced at that time.