Guangdong woman with fever after eating leftovers confirmed to have encephalitis Doctor: due to refrigerator culture bacteria

A woman in mainland China was infected by eating leftover food and was admitted to an intensive care unit for four days, and was confirmed to have encephalitis after a doctor’s examination.

In order to avoid waste, some people will eat leftover food packaged as overnight dishes, but a woman in mainland China ate leftover food and was admitted to the intensive care unit due to bacterial infection, and was confirmed by doctors to have encephalitis after examination.

A 56-year-old woman surnamed Chen in Huangpu District, Guangzhou Province, packed fried chicken rice at a party and put it in the refrigerator for two days before eating it, but she suddenly developed a high fever and had a convulsion. The woman was admitted to the intensive care unit for four days with a maximum fever of 42°C. After examination, doctors found “Listeria monocytogenes” in the woman’s cerebrospinal fluid and serum, and confirmed her intracranial infection.

Doctors pointed out that “Listeria” has a high degree of lethality and is one of the food-borne diseases with a serious risk, but it can present different reactions to infection depending on the age and immune status of the individual; for example, if Listeria enters the body with normal immune function, there will only be mild symptoms and it will soon be able to heal itself, but if the infected person is However, if the infected person is pregnant, elderly, children and other groups with low immunity, there is a risk of death.

Listeria monocytogenes was found in the cerebrospinal fluid and serum of a woman surnamed Chen, and doctors confirmed that she had an intracranial infection. Photo taken from global network

As most bacteria in the environment below 4 ℃ difficult to grow, adapted to the temperature of 0-45 ℃ Listeria can continue to survive in the refrigerator refrigeration area, and rapidly grow and multiply, increasing the risk of food infection in the refrigerator, so the bacteria also has the “refrigerator killer”.

In order to avoid infection, people should pay attention to the expiration date of ready-to-eat food and set the refrigerator’s freezing zone below 4.4°C. Food in the refrigerator should not be stored for a long time, and the food after the package is opened should be heated thoroughly in order to inactivate Listeria monocytogenes. In addition, people with low immunity should control the intake of raw and cold foods to reduce the risk of contracting Listeria monocytogenes.