Kwong Chun-yu choked up at one point in his testimony: the first person to die during Hong Kong’s “Anti-Sending China” campaign

Hong Kong’s Coroner’s Court summoned former lawmaker Kwong Chun-yu to testify on Friday.

A day before the June 16 march of two million people in Hong Kong, a 35-year-old man wearing a yellow raincoat, Leung Ling Kit, fell to his death at Pacific Place in Admiralty, becoming the first person to die during the “anti-China” movement. The Coroner’s Court continued its inquest on Friday (14), with Coroner Ko Wai-hung hearing the case. In the fifth day of the inquest, the court summoned then Legislative Council member Kwong Chun-yu to testify, he was choked up in court, eyes flooded with tears, describing himself as having dealt with many light incidents, not tried to miss, which is a very difficult thing in his life, “the biggest regret is that from the beginning to the end, not to be able to speak with him to a sentence to speak.” (Liu Shaofeng reported)

This death inquest by the outside world is highly concerned, one of the reasons, is the negotiation process, the police refused to then Legislative Council member Kwong Chun-yu contact the subject, and Kwong Chun-yu at the time may have prevented the tragedy. The current Superintendent of Police, when the Central Police District Chief Inspector Nie Kai-kan earlier testified that, because Kwong does not know Liang, and not trained in professional negotiation, worried that Kwong midway intervention will “complicate into a matter”, and ultimately did not approve.

From the Legislative Council ran to the crime scene to request to see Liang Lingjie was refused

Kwong Chun-yu was originally not in the list of witnesses summoned, Magistrate Ko Wai-hung announced on Thursday (13), Kwong Chun-yu became an additional witness, and appeared in court on Friday morning to give evidence. Kwong Chun-yu pointed out that the incident on the day of 3, 4 pm, Kwong Chun-yu work in the Legislative Council Building, saw the news online and received a phone call from colleagues that someone was going to die, said good worry, many people named Kwong Chun-yu to help the scene. Kwong stressed that beforehand do not know the identity of this person, only know that someone to die to express their will, that “online outflow message, someone wants to pay the price, show the fugitive ordinance amendments, is not supposed to.” He believes that the identity of the subject does not matter, because “do not want someone to lose their lives, there was only one thought, do not want it to do something stupid, as a councilor or social worker, the best assistance is to rush to the scene.”

Kwong testified that he received the news, and colleagues surnamed Leung from the Legislative Council building through the flyover to run to the scene, on the way to meet the lawyer Wu Zhanbang. Kwong arrived, the police have blocked the scene, Kwong had communicated with the police public relations section of a female police officer, asked to see Liang Lingjie but was refused, because the negotiators are rushing to the scene, as well as the scope of the blockade, not suitable for cooperation persuasion or communication. Kwong repeatedly said to the police officer during the “you try to try, I believe I help to hand.” But the police officers said they had to ask their superiors, but ultimately no results.

Councilman and registered social worker repeatedly handle the light-hearted incident

Kwong Chun-yu testified that he grew up in Yuen Long, as a member of Parliament for more than 10 years, is also a registered social worker, handling several corporate jump and immediate rescue work, need to go to the scene, communicate with the person concerned, to help the subject back. As to whether there is no thought to meet with the results of the Liang Lingjie may not be benign, Kwong Chun-yu said, according to past experience as a councilor or social worker, I believe that the appropriate judgment, but also understand the risks, but to make assistance is his arrival at the scene is the original intention.

The inquiry officer also asked if he had thought that he could successfully assist the victim at the scene. Kwong responded that “of course I hope to talk to him, the biggest regret is that from the beginning to the end, not to be able to speak with him to a word.” Kwong also said that he did not know whether the victim was holding a dangerous object, “carry what is not my consideration, do not think he will hurt me, I went to the scene is to listen, want to see it.”

Asked whether he would be worried that his presence would cause political and social problems or conflicts. Kwong Chun-yu responded that “I believe my presence is a moderating, buffering role,” when even the police will accept his presence is to help, he also said “my greatest wish is to want everyone to be safe, do not want something bad to happen, not worth it.”

When Kwong Chun-yu testified, he repeatedly said “sorry”. He said the moment he learned that the beam fell, emotional breakdown, kneeling on the ground, said “I used to deal with light life, not tried to miss, I can not accept, this is my life inside a good hard thing.”

“This is a big regret in my life, a big wound.”

Two years after the incident, Kwong Chun Yu in court recalled the incident, his voice trembled, once choked. He remembered that on the day of the funeral ceremony, he saw Leung’s mother for the first time and “shouted until I couldn’t hear her”. When asked by the inquiry officer what she meant by that, Kwong said, “In fact, if I can play a role …… I don’t want to respond to this, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. …… This is my life inside a good hard thing, I thought the fruit day will be safe, but the original can not do, is my a good big regret.” The director of the inquiry reminded Kwong that there were tissues beside him. Kwong Chun-yu said that Leung’s father had sent him a message after the incident, “I hope everyone can go home safely,” Kwong said, to convey this message to the outside world, do not want to have similar tragedies happen again.

Magistrate Gao Weixiong expressed his gratitude to Kwong Chunyu, said this time in a very hasty time first decided to summon Kwong Chunyu, he said “early consideration whether to summon, but there are many factors, such as some people do not want to tell the grief again, some people said after being able to untie the knot.” Kwong Chun Yu finally added, thanks to all parties to provide assistance for the cause of death of Liang Lingjie, described “this is a great regret, a great wound”, they are very happy to assist.

Kwong Chun-yu in court once choked up, eyes flooded with tears, described the death of Liang Lingjie fall is a very difficult thing in his life. (Liu Shaofeng photo)

Negotiator: not to let the unrelated registered social worker contact the subject is quite reasonable

In addition, the coroner’s court in the morning summoned senior negotiator Lin King-sheng to continue to testify, he was the last person to talk with Liang Lingjie. The case is a very reasonable case, and the case is a very reasonable case, and the case is a very reasonable case, and the case is a very reasonable case, and the case is a very reasonable case, and the case is a very reasonable case, and the case is a very reasonable case. He pointed out that the person who applied for contact with the subject is a registered social worker, and the social worker does not know the subject, has not handled the subject’s case as a social worker, it is not clear whether the other party has been trained to negotiate under pressure crisis, and may stimulate the subject, so the registered social worker is not enough to constitute a reason to contact the subject.

He said that during the negotiation, the two had less dialogue, most of the time there is no dialogue, this negotiation situation is not uncommon, he noticed the body language of Liang Lingjie, that he had heard his own speech, the impression is “good natural”.

At the time of the incident, firefighters and negotiators were working at an elevated platform in Pacific Place. Lam King Sing asked him, “Do you want the firefighters and me to approach you?” The director of the inquiry asked whether this was a response to Lin Jingsheng’s words, and Lin Jingsheng said he felt he was telling the firefighters to go away, because the firefighters had been approaching.