Attack outside U.S. Capitol building, 1 officer dead, 1 injured, suspect dead

Police officers block the street near the U.S. Capitol after a car (black) struck a U.S. Capitol police officer in Washington, DC, April 2, 2021. Two police officers were struck by a car near the U.S. Capitol on Friday, one of whom died of his injuries, police said. The suspect was struck by police and died at a hospital.

A car was used to hit police officers outside the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC, on the afternoon of April 2. Two police officers were reportedly injured, one of whom died of his injuries. The suspect died in the hospital after being shot by police with a gun.

There is video of a large police presence at the scene and two people being carried away on stretchers.

The Capitol was placed on lockdown after the incident, but was unsealed more than three hours later. President Biden and the first lady left the White House around noon to spend Easter weekend at Camp David.

One officer died and another was injured Friday when a car crashed into police near the U.S. Capitol, Capitol Police Department Chief Yogananda Pittman said at a news conference.

Pittman said one person got out of the car with a knife and began to sprint. She said officers shot and killed the suspect.

Pittman said in a news release, “To my deepest sorrow, William ‘Billy’ Evans ( ) was injured this afternoon when a lone assailant was The North Barricade was attacked and he died of his injuries. Evans had served as a U.S. Capitol Police officer for 18 years. He began his service with the Capitol Police on March 7, 2003, and was a member of the Capitol Police Department’s Emergency Response Team. Keeping Evans and his family in our thoughts and prayers.”

It was not immediately clear how the officer was fatally injured.

The incident occurred around 1 p.m.

Capitol Police tweeted that the incident occurred at a checkpoint near the Capitol, located at an entrance along Constitution Avenue.

A security official told Fox News that the suspect was a “lone wolf” and was not affiliated with any other group.

NBC News reported that the suspect was identified as Noah Green, 25.